Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester Metropolitan University, All Saints Building, All Saints, Manchester, M15 6BH
Manchester Metropolitan University (often abbreviated by MMU) is a public university situated in Manchester, England. The University traces its roots to the Manchester Mechanics Institute and the Manchester School of Design, which founded the Manchester Polytechnic in 1970. Manchester Polytechnic was then granted university status under the Government’s Higher Education Act, which became the Manchester Metropolitan University in 1992.
It is now headquartered in the town of Manchester, with extra equipment in Cheshire. MMU is also proud of powerful partnerships with companies and organizations at regional, domestic and global level, including the BBC and IBM. Many of its degree courses include a year-long job placement with these organizations – something that the college thinks supports its high employment rate for graduates.
Manchester Metropolitan University has three campuses in the vibrant city of Manchester and one in nearby Crewe in Cheshire. All sites provide research, recreation, sports, social and entertainment facilities as well as excellent accommodation. Manchester Metropolitan University is situated close to the city center with a combination of coffee shops, theaters, galleries, clothing stores, shopping centers, café bars, pubs, clubs and high-rise apartment blocks. London is less than two and a half hours away by train. Students can enjoy all the benefits of being part of a large and diverse university, but do so in a campus setting that provides a sense of community, security and easy access to local cities.
- Bartosz Beda – contemporary artist
- Bethany Black – comedian
- Lord Bradley – life peer and former Member of Parliament
- Ian Clark – film director and screenwriter
- The World Pie Eating Championship – held at Harry's Bar in Wigan, Greater Manchester – sees the contestants compete against the clock to consume the meat and potato pie as quickly as possible. The competition has been running for more than 20 years, and the present record is only 38 seconds.
- Rolls-Royce Limited was established during a popular dinner in Manchester in 1904, when car salesman Charles Rolls met engineer Henry Royce at The Midland Hotel. The Silver Ghost, launched in 1907, was a car of legendary smoothness that completed an almost non-stop 14,371-mile run, earning it the title ' the best car in the world.