University of Essex
Elmer Approach, Southend-on-Sea SS1 1LW, United Kingdom
Essex University is a public research university located in Essex, England. It was founded in 1963, received its first students in 1964, and received its Royal Charter in 1965. Essex’s motto, ‘ Thought harder, heart sharper, heart sharper, ‘ is adapted from the Anglo-Saxon poem The Battle of Maldon. The largest campus in Essex is the Colchester Campus in Wivenhoe Park, less than a mile (1.6 km) from Wivenhoe and three miles (3 km) from Colchester. There is also a Southend-on-Sea campus, and the East 15 Acting School is located on the Loughton Campus. You are taught at Essex by world-leading academics in a supportive and research-intensive environment. We are ranked Gold in the Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF 2017), which means that we have an excellent learning experience. Our groundbreaking research continues to change the world for the better and we are ranked 25th in the UK in terms of research quality (TGUG 2018).
Essex University’s main campus is located in the beautiful parkland of Colchester, the oldest known city in the United Kingdom. The University of Essex has another state-of – the-art campus in Southend, one of the safest cities in the United Kingdom. All three campuses are less than an hour away from London and the port of Harwich is also nearby. The Southend campus is accessible from High Street on a new multi-million pound campus. The Loughton campus is a five-minute walk from the closest London Underground Station, Debden, on the east side of the Central Line, 35 minutes from Liverpool Street.
- South African politician Thozamile Botha
- TV comedy producer Geoff Posner
- Malaysian poet Kee Thuan Chye
- Filmmaker David Yates
- The 350-mile Essex coast is the second longest coast in any English county.
- Essex is home to the oldest recorded city in Britain, Colchester. It was the first capital of Rome in England.
- Essex is one of the few places in the world where the "Little Scarlet" strawberry is grown, the ideal variant for making jam.