International Students Guide to the NHS

About the NHS
As an international student applying to study in the UK, you’ll be wondering if you are able to register with the National Health Service. The NHS already offers free health care and many other great benefits such as family planning, treatment of some communal diseases and psychiatric treatment. For more information check out the NHS Website.
Can I apply for the NHS?
Yes and no, whether you may or may not apply for full NHS treatment as an international student is dependant on the laws between varying countries.
About EEA Nationals
If you are from a country classified as an European Economic Area (EEA) then you can  register for the full benefits of the NHS system. To register for treatment it would be wise to obtain a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) before coming to the UK.
EEA countries include: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Republic of Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, The Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain and Sweden.
About Non-EEA Nationals
If you are from a country that is not classified as an EEA then you are still allowed to register for treatment if you can meet certain conditions:

  • If you course lasts six months or more.
  • If your course lasts less than six months and you are studying in Scotland.
  • If your course last less than six months, and the UK government is providing at least 35% of funding for your course.

How do I register?
You should register with a local doctor or GP (general practitioner) when you arrive in the UK. When you register you will need a passport, evidence that you’re a student (Student card), proof of your UK address (accommodation contract) and details of your current state of health and medical history so UK Doctors can treat you properly.
Travel insurance is also on the checklist for International students coming to study in the UK as well as insuring your personal belongings.
Study in different countries