The Palatine Centre,Durham University,Stockton Road,Durham,DH1 3LE,United Kingdom
Overview of Durham University
Durham University was the first recognized university to open in England for over 600 years and is therefore one of the institutions to be described as the third-oldest university in England. Durham University is England’s third oldest university and regularly ranks among the top ten rankings of UK universities.
The University is a member of the renowned Russell Group, as well as many other international university organizations, and is regarded as a traditional alternative to the Oxbridge Oxford and Cambridge giants. According to the QS World University Rankings 2018, Durham is the joint 78th best university in the world and ranks among the world’s top 10 universities for theology, divinity and religious studies, archeology and geography.
Durham is located in the North East of England and is one of the most scenic towns in the United Kingdom. The skyline is dominated by the 11th Century Cathedral and the Castle, a World Heritage Site. Durham has a wide variety of stores and restaurants, a regular indoor market and a much bigger outdoor market twice a week.
- Gabby Logan – British presenter – former international rhythmic gymnast presenter with BBC
- Will Carling – English former rugby union player
- Nina Hossain – British journalist and presenter
- Harry Potter's Transfiguration Class took place in the Chamber of Secrets in Durham Cathedral! And its influence on the famous magic world doesn't stop there, either, with the dining hall at the University College also inspiring the Great Hall of Hogwarts.
- The highest rate of inter-student marriages in Britain is at Durham University (around 72%)
- The toughest bridge in the world is in this city. Durham's Train Trestle Bridge stands at 11 feet and 8 inches in height and big trucks and oversized cars are always hit by accidents.