Edinburgh Napier University
Sighthill Campus, Sighthill Court, Edinburgh, EH11 4BN
Overview of Edinburgh Napier University
Edinburgh Napier University, founded as Napier Technical College in 1964, takes its name from the 16th-century mathematician-philosopher John Napier, the inventor of logarithm and the decimal point. Napier Technical College became Napier University in 1992 and changed its name to Edinburgh Napier University in 2009. Today, it’s home to about 19500 students engaged in various undergraduate and postgraduate programmes. Edinburgh Napier partners with many higher education institutions across the world to deliver its courses and it is the largest UK provider of higher education in Hong Kong. Most Edinburgh Napier University reviews by students are good highlighting lectures and placements.
A public university, Edinburgh Napier has a state-of-the-art campus in Sighthill, and two others in Craiglockhart and Merchiston.
Edinburgh Napier University Courses
The university has the following six specialist schools offering undergraduate and postgraduate level and online programmes in a variety of subjects.
- School of Applied Sciences
- School of Arts & Creative Industries
- Business School
- School of Computing
- School of Engineering & the Built Environment
- School of Health & Social Care
- Accounting & Finance
- Building & Surveying
- Business & Management
- Criminal Psychology & Sociology
- Design & Photography
- English, Creative Writing & Publishing
- Film Journalism & Media
- Health & Social Care
- Marketing & Sales
- Nursing & Midwifery
- Sport & Exercise Sciences
- Tourism, Hospitality, & Events Management
- Vet Nursing
Edinburgh Napier University Ranking
|Edinburgh Napier University World Ranking|
|Times Higher Education or THE (2020)||601-800|
|Edinburgh Napier University National Ranking|
|The Complete University Guide (2020)||86|
|The Guardian (2020)||105|
|The Times / Sunday Times (2020)||93|
Edinburgh Napier is based around Merchiston, Craighouse, Craiglockhart and Sighthill campuses. There are also smaller medical campuses at Canaan Lane’s Astley Ainslie Hospital and Comely Bank in Edinburgh, as well as in Melrose and Livingston’s St John’s Hospital in Howden. Other notable buildings of Edinburgh, including the former parish church at Morningside, have been incorporated. Edinburgh is the capital of Scotland and is a World Heritage Site. Some people consider it to be one of the greenest and most architecturally beautiful cities in Europe. Since the 18th century, its beauty and reputation for science have earned it the nickname ‘ Athens of the North. ‘
Edinburgh Napier offers student accommodation on all three campuses. Besides social clubs and students’ unions, the campus also offers support services such as help with language requirements, visa processing and personal counselling for international students. Edinburgh Napier University reviews from students are good. Edinburgh Napier University student accommodation is rated good by students.
- Alex Salmond – Former First Minister of Scotland
- Rory Douglas-Speed – Actor
- Catriona Shearer – Scottish journalist, broadcaster, producer and presenter
- Edinburgh Castle is constructed on an extinguished volcano.
- The Royal Mile is a mile and 107 yards long. Edinburgh was the first town in the planet to have its own fire service.
- J.K. Rowling wrote some of Harry Potter at the Edinburgh Café (The Elephant) and took inspiration from the landscape for his characters and locations.