Keele University,Staffordshire, UK,ST5 5BG
Overview of Keele University
Officially called the University of Keele, the public research institution or Keele University, is about 3 miles away from Newcastle-under-Lyme. Founded sometime in 1949, the Royal Charter granted university status to Keele in the year 1962. It was also the first UK University that was founded to promote multidisciplinary scholarships in the 20th century. 70% of the students are enrolled in the Dual Honours degree alongside others who are enrolled for single honours degrees as well.
Currently, Keele University acceptance rates are at 10,000 students, internationally, from across more than 140 countries and undergraduates get to study in one of the 50 partner universities for at least one semester. Keele University scored 90% according to the National Student Survey as against the national average, which was at 86%.
Surrounded by woods, and lakes, the university is spread over 600 acres of parkland. The 19th century Keele Hall is the main feature of the estate, which is also registered as a Grade II English Heritage.
Keele University rankings are regularly among the top 10 best universities in the UK according to the National Student Survey. And with the variety of activities available, the institution’s student union was rated amidst the top 5 in the country.
The Keele University campus is situated close Newcastle-under-Lyme in Staffordshire. The University occupies the biggest rural campus near the village of Keele and houses the Science Park and the conference centre. It is conveniently situated in the middle of the country, less than two hours from London and Leeds and one hour from Manchester and Birmingham. The region is known as The Potteries and is a collection of towns and cities that have traditionally produced pottery during the Industrial Revolution. As such, many traditional manufacturing towns and cities are surrounded by landscape.
- Meet and Greet services at the beginning of the term are organised by a dedicated Student Support Team at Manchester and London Heathrow airports for fresh enrolees.
- Attend the Keele World Festival where new students are introduced to one another
- An International Orientation before the Welcome Week ensures that students can settle down with life smoothly, in a different country
- Pre-sessional English lessons are available for learners before the start of the term and can last up to 12 weeks
- These English language studies can be accomplished alongside regular study as well
- Food, study, and health are all available at Union Square – in fact, you will find most of the happening activities here
- You have the Costa Coffee shop, Costcutter Store, Pharmacy, Post Office, Blackwell’s Bookshop and much more
- Student support and the security team are both available 24/7
- Grab a bite, enjoy a coffee with friends, dance the night away or get some Keele merchandise at the Student Union shop
- Within the sports centre, you will find several indoor and outdoor facilities along with a dance studio and gym
- Play for fun or compete at a national level when you regularly attend the sports centre at Keele
- Meet your friends in between lectures at the Chancellor’s social space
- Several activities are hosted every Tuesday evening inclusive of film nights, societies, crafts and much more
Halls, bars, common rooms
- Open to students living on campus or off campus, social spaces are available in the form of bars, halls and common rooms in between lectures, in the evenings or during the weekend
- A range of food, alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks are served at the campus bars
- There are different activities hosted such as quiz nights and karaoke!
Shops and Restaurants
- Enjoy a coffee between lectures or have lunch with your friends in eateries spread across the campus from morning to evening
- There are vegan and non-vegetarian options besides a choice of traditional and homemade dishes
- Clare Short – Former Secretary of State for International Development of the United Kingdom, British Labour Party politician, Member of Parliament for Birmingham Ladywood (1983 to 2010)
- Michael Mansfield – Barrister and head of chambers at Nexus Chambers, described as “The king of human rights work” by the Legal 500
- According to the Times Higher Education, 2018, Keele was regarded among the top 5 most beautiful universities in the UK
- Keele University is the largest single-site campus in the UK spread over 600 acres