University of Southampton
University of Southampton,University Road,Southampton,SO17 1BJ,United Kingdom
Overview of University of Southampton
The University of Southampton is located in the city of Southampton, on the south coast of England. It is a founding member of the Russell Group and the Worldwide Universities Network, and currently has some 23,000 students enrolled, 2,000 of whom are international from more than 100 countries. The University of Southampton places great emphasis on interdisciplinary cooperation and collaboration with industry. Employers are often invited to Open Career Days on campus, while Southampton Careers Service provides free advice to all students of the University of Southampton for up to three years after graduation.
Southampton is a lively, bustling town just over 60 minutes away from London. There are easy transport connections to other United Kingdom and European cities, and the tourist cities of Winchester, Salisbury and Bournemouth are nearby, as is the New Forest and the world-famous Stonehenge. The southern coast of England, where Southampton is located, is one of the warmest locations in the United Kingdom. Known throughout history as the ‘ Gateway to the World, ‘ Southampton continues to be a major international port. At its marina, the Volvo and BT Global Challenge round-the-world have hosted famous international sailing competitions.The population of approximately 221,000 includes some 40,000 students and, as a result, the city offers a wide range of entertainment, sports and leisure activities.
- Sir Tim Berners-Lee, computer scientist
- Sir Nigel Shadbolt, computer scientist
- Justine Greening, MP
- Chris Packham, naturalist
- Did you know that Southampton is the only geothermal power station in the United Kingdom? It rates Southampton as one of the UK's best low-carbon cities.
- Did you know that the Titanic departed Southampton in April 1912? The Sea City Museum is located in the heart of the city, where you can learn more about the Titanic tragedy and Southampton maritime history.