Am I eligible to study in Canada?

The majority of foreign nationals need a study permit to study in Canada so if you’re an international student looking to study abroad in Canada you will need to apply for a study permit.
A study permit must be applied for before you travel. It’s important you collect all the relevant documents before you apply to increase your chance of success.

What is a study permit?

A study permit is a document that allows international students to study at designated learning institutions in Canada. These are known as DLIs. You must be accepted to a DLI to obtain a study permit. There are certain conditions that must be met whilst studying in Canada with a study permit.
These are as follows:

  • Enrolled with a DLI for the duration of your studies
  • Progress towards the completion of your course
  • Respect all conditions listed on the study permit
  • Leave Canada once the permit expires

Certain study permits will specify the type and level of study you can enter into. Other conditions may be outlines such as whether or not you are allowed to work in Canada, whether you can travel and the end date for your studies.

How long is a study permit valid?

Usually, a study permit will be valid for the duration of your course length, with an extra 90 days added on. The extra 90 days is designed to give international students time to either make preparations to leave Canada or apply to extend their stay.
It’s important to be aware that if you finish your studies before the date on your study permit, the extra 90 days will begin on the date your course finished, regardless of the date on your permit. Also, if your course is not going to finish by the date on your permit, you must apply to extend your stay in Canada.
Your study in Canada will be complete either when you receive notification from your institution or when you get your degree, diploma or certificate.

Is a study permit the same as a visa?

It’s important to remember that a study permit is not a visa. Most international students will need a study permit as well as a visa or an electronic travel authorization (eTA). You can apply for them both at the same time and there’s no extra charge for applying for both.
If you are an international student looking to study in Canada, we can help you with your application. Here at IEC Abroad, we have placed many international students in Canada and help you find the right university for you. As well as ensuring your visa and study permit is accepted. Contact us for more information.
Study in different countries