Student Visa to Study in Ireland
Republic of Ireland visa guidance
If you want to study in the Republic of Ireland and are from a non-EEA/EU country, you must apply for a visa before you travel.
You can check the visa requirement on the Citizens Information website, which will also give you details on how to apply and how much it will cost.
In general, there are two types of student visa for the Republic of Ireland.
Types of Republic of Ireland student visa
C Study Visa - for those who wish to study in the Republic of Ireland for less than 3 months.
D Study Visa - for those who wish to study in the Republic of Ireland for more than 3 months.
Republic of Ireland student visa requirements
More detailed information on the requirements of your student visa can be found on the Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service, on the Department of Justice and Equality website.
Some evidence you will need to provide includes:
- Evidence of access to enough funds for the initial part of your studies in the Republic of Ireland (€7,000)
- Evidence of access to at least €7,000 per year for every year of your studies, in addition to the tuition fees
- Proof of private medical insurance
- Proof that you are able to complete your chosen course in the English language
The earliest you can apply for your visa is 3 months before the start of your course. Applications are processes in date order, and can take around 8 weeks to process.
Republic of Ireland visa fees
First of all you should check if you are exempt from having to pay a fee.
- Single entry visa fee: €60
- Multi entry visa fee: €100
You can check for the latest update on visa fees here.