Enquire Now

Frequently Asked Questions

Moving abroad to a new country can be both adventurous and overwhelming

Studying abroad is a big decision that involves a lot of investment in terms of time, ener-gy and finance. Not all study abroad programmes are created equal. To hasten your decision-making and to obtain comprehensive guidance as to how to study abroad, reach out to experts at IEC Abroad for a consultation.

Primarily, students should be able to choose a programme within the university of their choice to initiate the study abroad process. If you are unsure about the path you should take, speak to us for more information.

There are certain entry requirements for studying abroad. These vary between countries and universities. In general, you have to produce your academic standing, study abroad readiness, and if you are planning on a major, as well. Depending upon your field of in-terest, if you are applying for an undergraduate degree, then you should have complet-ed your secondary education. Contact our experts at IEC Abroad, if you already possess an international qualification and are unsure about procedures.

The duration of your study abroad programme is dependent on the level of degree you are planning to undertake. A full-time study programme will take at least 4 years, or an undergraduate degree will take you at least three years, in the UK. There are shorter courses available, as well.

Definitely, students planning to study abroad must have clarity about their goals and ob-jectives before applying to overseas universities. Ask for help. Our experts at IEC Abroad are always willing to assist you.

While the application process might vary between countries and universities, here are the basic requirements for applying to an educational institution abroad:

To study abroad you have to be older than at least 13 years of age. High school ex-change programmes usually look for at least 15 years of age.

During a particular year, each overseas college or university has intakes. While some of them may have only one rolling intake, others have two or three intakes in a year. It is best to initiate the application process a year in advance.

Generally, the material required by the university is referred to as an application pack-age. It primarily contains the application form, a recommendation letter, mark sheets, transcripts, information about financial aid and relevant essays.

Before applying familiarise yourself with UCAS deadlines. Courses and universities have different deadlines and can impact your application if you miss them.

You can always reattempt and apply for a suitable programme that matches your pro-file, if an institution of your choice rejects your application. You may also attach support-ing documents to prove your eligibility.

Entry requirements for each university may vary. Generally, your academic qualifications, Visa, English language tests, work experience and other associated criteria are required. Check with IEC Abroad’s expert overseas counsellors for guidance.

If a student does not possess formal qualifications for undergraduate studies, you can undertake a Foundation course, for one academic year.
If you possess relevant work experience and do not possess any formal gradation for a post graduate degree, then enrol into the Postgraduate Certificate Programme and claim your admission to the postgraduate diploma and subsequently, a master’s de-gree.

Even if you possess below average grades, there are chances that you can secure an admission in a foreign university. Check with counsellors at IEC Abroad for a second chance.

Degree programmes that sandwich a placement or include an industrial placement for a particular time frame in the related industry are known as sandwich programmes. Generally, the duration of the course extends to up to 4 years for all bachelor courses.

Foundation programmes usually last only for a year and are particularly designed for students who wish to bridge their qualifications. This is also a basic requirement for entry into a degree programme with an international college or university.

Gain relevant industrial experience along with your studies in the sandwich programme, where you get to work for a company during your third year. Besides the money that you earn at the time, you also gain practical experience that can be invaluable both in your final year project and when applying for jobs after graduating.

Students can change their majors. In fact, the trend is most undergraduate students dur-ing their four years of study, do change their major at least once. Most of the universities provide students with flexibility.

Primarily, your eligibility to work depends upon the length and type of programme that you are attending. If you are a full-time international student, then you can look at work during term days for about 20 hours per week. During the holidays, you can avail of full-time work or 40 hours per week. You can expect to be paid at least 7 to 10 pounds per hour. If you are a student doing a doctorate programme, you can work full-time all around the year. Find part time jobs in the institution’s job shop. You may also enrol into an employment agency to find you some work in private or government organisations.

Upon successful completion of their studies, stay-back options for students are available in most countries to explore job opportunities. After the completion of the course the in-ternships and coops help the students look for employment. Even if you do get an op-portunity, work rights for your dependents are available based upon the laws of the country.

Reach out to the university’s career support centre to help you with an internship. There are also student unions that are extremely helpful. Alternatively, check if your Course Tu-tor can guide you and help you apply for an internship.

Students can eliminate expenses that they might incur in the course of their overseas ed-ucation, when they apply for financial aid.

Scholarships and grants are offered by a university in the form of a financial aid pack-age. This may also include an on-campus employment programme helping the students pay a significant amount of their study overseas expenses.

IEC Abroad’s experts will coordinate with your preferred universities to send the financial aid form. A filled in form should be submitted before the deadline cited in the applica-tion form / package.

Students can cover most of their education expenses by getting a TA or Teaching Assis-tantship. Assist a professor by either checking exam papers or by teaching an under-graduate class.

Work in the capacity of an assistant to a professor on an assigned research project when you are awarded Research fellowship or assistantship. Students receive a waiver on the tuition fees or may just have to pay the in-state tuition charges thus being able to sustain themselves through their education.

Generally, scholarships are awarded based on merit and academic performance is pri-oritised. Besides, the university should have awarded you an offer after you have written an essay on a given topic, by the institution.

Students should check for their eligibility for educational loans, scholarships provided by foreign or local governments, individual universities and other financial bodies and pri-vate trusts.

If you possess the right kind of documentation and a get a confirmation from the college or university along with financial aid, then it should not be tough to obtain a visa.

Check with counsellors at IEC Abroad to provide you with one. They will also help you fill it up.

While there really is no stipulated upper limit, there should most certainly be a minimum amount that you should feature to cover your tuition fees and expenses for living abroad.

Most students are nervous around their visa interviews. Generally, the people present at the counter are rather empathetic and friendly. Nevertheless, our in-house visa consult-ants will prepare you thoroughly for the same. A credibility interview from UKVI via skype is mandatory to assess your genuineness.

If you are able to find a job that pays you 21,000 pounds per annum, after completion of your course and if the company is listed in the UKVI website then you should be able to obtain an extension on your visa. Starting a business can also extend the visa by Tier 1 or if you are a student doing your PhD, then you could get a 1-year extension.

Generally, it takes about 15 working days, if all your submissions are in order.

You have the choice to resubmit your application by providing explanations and docu-mentation to assuage the concerns raised by the High commission or embassy, in the event your visa being rejected. Most institutions do refund the tuition fees already remit-ted to them although the visa fees are non-refundable. But the amount is refunded after deduction of the nominal administrative charges mentioned in the offer letter. Consult-ants at IEC Abroad will help you with the visa rejection formalities as well.

IEC Abroad are experienced and trusted consultants providing students with counselling and advise in choosing the right study options. We also help you apply to the universities of your choice, obtain an offer, secure bank loans, scholarships and financial aids, visa interview and documentation, police clearances where required, pre-departure guid-ance, money exchange, air tickets, international accommodation and other services that will help you settle down in your overseas studies comfortably.

We use cookies and similar tech to improve our website, customize content and ads. By using our site, you agree to this use of browsing information by us and our service partners. Read our policy for details and opt out info. Find out more. OK