Scholarships For International Students To Study In The UK
October 20, 2017
There are many reasons to want to study in the UK. Great universities, a diverse mix of people, amazing cities to explore and tasty food to try. So it’s no wonder that more and more international students are choosing the UK as their place of study
Unfortunately, one of the drawbacks to studying abroad is the cost. Tuition fees for international students in the UK are considerably higher than those for home students – and even those are expensive.
Undergraduate fees for international students start from around £10,000 per year and can cost anything up to around £35,000 a year for fields of study such as medicine. With living costs to consider on top of that, the total cost of studying a three-year degree in the UK can be incredibly high.
If you are an international student considering studying in the UK and are worried about the cost, there are a number of scholarships that are available. Take a look at the list of below to see which ones you can apply for. Some are for international students from specific countries and some are more general. Please note: this is not a complete list of all scholarships available.
- British Chevening Scholarships
- Commonwealth Scholarships for Developing Commonwealth Countries
- Commonwealth Shared Scholarship Scheme at UK Universities
Non government-funded scholarships
- Euraxess UK
- CastleSmart Scholarship
For Indian Students
- Birkbeck University International Office Merit Scholarships
- British Council GREAT scholarships for Indian Students
- Charles Wallace India Trust Scholarships
For African Students
- African Excellence Fee Waiver – The University of Glasgow
- African Graduate scholarships – UCL
- African Postgraduate Scholarships – Edinburgh Napier University
- Commonwealth Scholarships – SOAS University of London
- Ruth First Scholarship – Durham University
- Oppenheimer Fund Scholarships – Oxford University
- African Scholarships – The University of Edinburgh
- The Centre of African Studies Visiting Fellowship – The University of Cambridge
- The Ibrahim Scholarship Programme
- Aga Khan Foundation Scholarship Programme
For Chinese Students
- University of Kent Lo Family Scholarship Fund
- LSE Woo Family Scholarship
- Great Britain China Center Chinese Student Awards
- The China Oxford Scholarship Fund
Specific universities also have their own scholarships for international students. If you have a specific university in the UK you would like to apply to, you can ask one of our study abroad specialists about scholarships for that specific university. You can also enquire about any of the scholarships above if you’re planning to study in the UK. Simply contact us at IEC Abroad to get started.