Welcome to American University, an environment that empowers.
Located in Washington, DC, the capital of the United States, American University (AU) is one of the top-ranked universities in the country. We use Washington, DC, as our laboratory for learning, providing students with high-impact learning practices that give them the knowledge and experience to succeed. AU students are encouraged to explore their interests and find what they are passionate about. If you are looking for engaging classes mixed with hands-on experiential learning, then American University is the school for you.
Adjusting to college life in the U.S. can be challenging. To make your transition as easy and productive as possible, the Undergraduate Accelerator at American University is a one-year program that sets you up for success with:
- Academic, English-language, and cultural support.
- College credit towards your AU degree.
- Access to exclusive courses and cultural events.
- Iconic City: Home to active government branches and hundreds of international embassies, some of the most powerful global leaders meet in DC to discuss world-changing events and policy decisions. DC is also a hub for business and innovation, offering unparalleled opportunities for internships and hands-on learning.
- Global Connections: The DC metropolitan area is home to some of the world’s leading corporations, including Lockheed Martin, General Dynamics, Marriott International, Capital One Financial Corp., and the AES Corp.
- Culture: American University provides a traditional campus atmosphere with all the benefits of a city school. Washington, DC offers world-renowned historical institutions from the Smithsonian to the White House to the National Mall.
- Internship Opportunities: American University takes pride in the number of its students that participate in internships during their time at the university. Year over year, around 90 per cent of undergraduate and 60 per cent of graduate students participate in an internship.
- Top Employers: Graduate students from each of American University’s schools are employed by leading corporations in their respective fields, including Deloitte, World Bank, BBC News, the U.S. Department of State, and the Associated Press.
- Research: At American University, the real learning happens when students apply their studies from inside the classroom to hands-on research in a lab or off-campus facility. There are a variety of research opportunities on campus including the Game Lab Studio and the Kogod School of Business Entrepreneurship Incubator, however, students can find additional research opportunities at top facilities including the National Institutes of Health or the Urban Institute.