Leeds Beckett University
Leeds Beckett University City Campus Leeds United Kingdom LS1 3HE
Leeds Beckett University (LBU), formerly known as Leeds Metropolitan University (LMU) and formerly known as Leeds Polytechnic, is a public university in Leeds, West Yorkshire, England. It’s got campuses in the town center and Headingley. The roots of the university can be traced back to 1824, when the Leeds Mechanics Institute was founded. Leeds Polytechnic was founded in 1970 and was part of the Leeds Local Education Authority until it became an autonomous Higher Education Corporation on 1 April 1989. In 1992, the institution was granted university status. The present name has been introduced in September 2014. What began as a technical college now provides a wide variety of topics, including arts and humanities, as well as science and technology. The university maintains its power in the field of technology, with three prominent study institutes for sport, sustainability and health. Leeds Beckett is a member of the Athena SWANN Charter, which is committed to gender equality in science and technology.
Leeds Beckett University has campuses in the center of Leeds and the surrounding suburb of Headingley, both of which are well regarded as popular student areas. Leeds is recognized as one of the best university cities in the UK and has a student population of over 200,000 and has been named ‘ Best University City in the UK ‘ by the Independent.
It hosts the annual Leeds Music Festival, including various cultural events and stages, as well as transportation to and from the rest of the UK. Leeds Bradford and Manchester are the nearest airports to Leeds Beckett University, with British Airways providing international students with connecting services between London and the North.
- Piers Aggett & Kesi Dryden – Rudimental
- Andy McDonald – Politician
- Alistair Brownlee – Triathlete
- Peter Cattaneo – Film-maker
- Leeds is home to the last gas-lit movie theater in the UK, and Hyde Park Picture House is a perfect example of what cinemas used to be like. The historic building is the last surviving gas-lit movie theater in the UK and also retains many of its original features, such as an external ticket booth and an ornate balcony. Showing indie movies, it's a mecca for city movie lovers.
- Leeds attracts more visitors than Brighton Leeds has become a hot spot for tourism in recent years and now attracts more summer visitors than traditional British holiday destinations like Torquay and Brighton.