Historical building in the United Kingdom

Undergraduate Courses In The UK

If you’re an international student looking to enrol onto an undergraduate course in the UK, you’ll need to apply through the UCAS (Universities and Colleges Admissions Service). Most students will have already completed further education studies in the form of A-levels or equivalent qualifications before starting an undergraduate course.  

What Is An Undergraduate Course?

An undergraduate course refers to an undergraduate degree, which is usually a Bachelor of Arts (BA) or Bachelor of Science (BSc). The most common type of undergraduate degree in the UK is a bachelor's degree, which is designed to provide an in-depth grounding in a particular subject.   Undergraduate degree courses are offered at numerous universities and institutes of higher education throughout the UK, and they typically take around 3 to 4 years to complete. They usually involve a number of regular weekly lectures on various modules, combined with seminars and workshops. As an international student, you'll be searching for the best undergraduate courses to suit your needs, and luckily the UK offers an abundance of undergraduate academic options.  

What Undergraduate Courses Are There?

Most international students undertake an undergraduate bachelor's degree over 3 years. Certain degree subjects can take up to 4 years to complete, such as engineering and science courses, whilst other degrees like medicine, dentistry and veterinary science can last between 5 to 7 years. Some modules in an undergraduate degree course will be optional and students will be able to tailor their modules to suit what interests them the most. As well as a BA (Bachelor of Arts) or BSc (Bachelor of Science), the other main types of bachelor degrees are BEd (Bachelor of Education), BEng (Bachelor of Engineering), LLB (Bachelor of Law), and MB BS (Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery).   For more information about studying undergraduate courses in the UK, get in touch with IEC Abroad today for helpful, expert advice.